My First International Flight: Coming To The Netherlands

Filipino way of sending off, with the whole family.
Since tomorrow culminate the fifth year of my life in Holland my wonderland, I would like to write my story about my first flight, my first international flight. Me and my husband met through the social network Fanbox. His first came in the Philippines to meet me in person was on December 2009 and went back home January 2010. May 2010 he came again to be with me and went back home, I think it was last week of June. 
First week of July when we agreed that I will try to apply for my visa and come to him in the Netherlands as a tourist.  My husband provided right away all the documents that I need for my visa application: copy of his passport, his latest three months payslip, print out of airline reservation, travel insurance and the invitation letter sealed by the City Hall of Vlaardingen.The Royal Dutch Embassy in Manila granted my visa fast. After fourteen days, they released my passport with Schengenstaten visa, meaning I am permitted to enter in all European Union countries. 
That night after I got my visa, my husband emailed me my plane ticket. And the next day I fly to the Netherlands.
To board in a jumbo jet is a big deal for me.
It was an exciting experience, but I also felt nervous. I had just taken one domestic flight, when my husband brought me in Bohol. The flight was very short from Manila to Bohol. That experience was something, unforgetable. To board in a jumbo jet and fly non-stop for 12 hours is for me, again a big deal.
My family sent me off at the airport. My first time to enter the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. My passport and a photocopy of my papers were all in one envelope, just in case there will be some interrogation at the airport. The feeling was so great when I got the first stamp in my passport, it was like I am accelerating to cloud nine! Since my flight date falls on Friday the 13th (August 13, 2010), many seats are vacant. Still, many people believe in superstitious. We left Manila around 7 o'clock in the evening and will arrived in Amsterdam around 6 o' clock the following day.
I moved to the seats at the center of the cabin and lay down there. I have such a good sleep during my long flight. The cabin crew don't even bother to wake me up and feed me. They just gave me food when they saw that I am already awake. Then I sleep again. The next time that I woke up, we were almost in Holland. The cabin crew was serving the breakfast, but I was too excited to consume my food.
My husband and son checking in, our first flight to the Philippines with our son.
I don't have the chance to see the aerial view of The Netherlands when I first came here because I was very comfortable invading three seats. When the pilot announced that we get ready and fasten our seat belt for landing, it was like a dream. I left my family in the Philippines to fly here on my own and a bit later, the man who made some of my impossible things became possible will fetch me.
We have a smooth touchdown. When I get out from the plane, the blowing of the cold wind was welcoming. I navigate myself in a very busy airport of Schipol. I am very excited to see again my husband and see what is there outside the airport. The immigration officers are all young men and as a hunk as Tom Cruise.
navigating at the busy airport of Schipol
The immigration officer asked me some questions. When he asked me where my husband live, I answered Vlaardingen. He does not understand me, because I pronounce Vlaardingen as gen when you are pronouncing the word general. Dutch people pronounce the letter g differently, hard and it's like you are choking. To help me, I took the letter of my husband in my bag and show to the officer the address. When he asked me how much money I have, I answered, two hundred pesos because that  is the only money I have in my wallet.
Then he looked at my papers and said: welcome to the Netherlands. After I got my luggage, I was thinking where I will find my husband. To my surprise he was just there, he was very early because he said just in case there will be some hassles in immigration, he is there to answer them. Thankfully, everything was just good.
My family's treat when they fetched me from the airport. Just arrived from Netherlands.
From that first flight, I have a quite a number of flights, mileage later. Until my husband took the steps for me to stay in the Netherlands for good. I am here as a permanent resident for nearly three years now. I gave birth to our son in Rotterdam.
The feeling of each homecoming is... nostalgic.
Every year we fly to the Philippines to visit my family. I am getting use of taking flight now. The safety procedure at the airport: taking off the jacket and the shoes, liquids must be sorted in a clear bag. Before the security officer asks, I already put my iPad and phone in its own tray. The difference now is we don't have non-stop flight anymore to the Philippines. We have stopped over in Taiwan the last year. This year, our stop over was in Hongkong.
What makes flying very special to me now is because, it is the only way for me to see again my family in the Philippines. The feelings I had on board on my first international flight is a bit different now that I have Burt. And the feeling of each homecoming is... Nostalgic.

Comments

Popular Posts