Vlaardingen, 5000 Years Living in The Delta


 
Back in writing. Writing for me is calming, pondering, and a healthy boost for my well-being. I feel I am really me, at peace with myself when I confide the piece of my thoughts in writing. I am sitting here, with my cup of coffee, and the photos I made yesterday at Vlaardingen Museum.
Yesterday, I had a tour at the Vlaardingen Museum together with the other mothers that I meet every Tueday afternoon in school. Alies, our head, was the one who arranged the tour. While our kids are in school, we took our time to visit the museum. It is about 5 minutes walk from the school.
Me at the reception lobby of Vlaardingen Museum
I never expected that I am going to enjoy the tour. And never expected what I was about to find out after. So many interesting facts and so many beautiful objects kept in Vlaardingen Museum.
Vlaardingen is a city in South Holland in the Netherlands, 15 minutes drive from the famous city of Rotterdam. It is located on the north bank of the Nieuwe Maas river at the confluence with the Oude Maas, with nearly 72,000 population.
Vlaardingen is named as the harring capital of the Netherlands. Fishery and ship building are among the rich background of this city. But Vlaardingen goes farther and higher, grabbing prestige and recognition.
We got a sticker from the receptionist of Vlaardingen Museum, with the theme: 5000 Jaar Leven in De Delta or in English, 5000 Years Living in The Delta. I have learned many things during the tour. It surprised me that this city where I live now is already existing before Christ Era based on the archaeological findings. The Netherlands' Delta works (Deltawerken) have been declared one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. According to Wikipedia, these works consist of dams, sluices, locks, dykes, leeves, and storm surge barriers. It is understandable because The Netherlands is a country situated below sea level.
On summer of 1990, a skeleton dated at about 1300 BC was dug up in the periphery of Vlaardingen; some human nuclear DNA was identified, the oldest found anywhere in the Netherlands. You can view this at the Vlaardingen Museum named Krabbeplasman. Because the place where the skeleton was found is Krabbeplas. I have been there a few times for autumn view and for family dinner.
There is also the Boomstamkano. Archeologists found a very old canoe, a thousand years old canoe. I was also very fascinated of the grand carriage displayed there for public viewing. The carriage where the Prince/Burgermeester of Vlaardingen took his ride to bring barrels of fresh harring to the queen of Holland, Queen Juliana.
I live in Vlaardingen three years now. I already visited many historical and beautiful places around this city. I already made calendars of this city and they are available at the Amazon Books. But yesterday was an experience. My husband is a Dutch and rooted well in this city. It is something to know about their history. Back during school days, my favorite subjects are History and English. Until now, I enjoy learning about history. I always love to visit historical places.
From fishing and shipbuilding, Vlaardingen is now considered an economic stable city, a rich city in The Netherlands. I think so because even dogs in Vlaardingen are paying tax. Unilever has a research center here. There are still some ferry terminals in Vlaardingen. The Vulcaanhaven was for many years the largest privately owned artificial harbor in the world. I have also read that Vlaardingen received an award as the Greenest City in Europe.
After the tour, I have learned many things about this small city where I live and come to love now. I have learned that this city is rich in fishery, archeological finds, and very wealthy in history. And yes, this small city is already exists before Christ Era. If you love the charm of small town, the beauty of old harbor, and by heart has an interest in history, why not write in your places to visit our place? The 5000 years of living, Vlaardingen.

Comments

Popular Posts