The Philippine Independence Day Picnic In The Netherlands

Every 12th of June is an annual national holiday in the Philippines. It is the day to commemorate the Philippines Declaration of Independence from Spain on June 12, 1898. Filipinos around the world has organizations and foundations to celebrate this particular date even thousands miles away from home. Filipinos are well known for these positive traits: strong family ties, religious, and hospitable. But when they are gathered together, foreigners see it that they are fun-loving, love to eat, and are music lovers. When you visit the Philippines, you can see a karaoke session almost anywhere.
My husband paying fees
Filipinos in the Netherlands are also celebrating the annual Philippine Independence Day. They call it Kalayaan Fiesta in The Netherlands or Philippine Independence Day Picnic. This year it falls on 4th of June. Filipinos in The Netherlands travel to Spaarnwoude, Amsterdam, where the annual celebration or picnic being held. They bring their family and friends there.
My `pinoy plate: laing, Bicol Express, and adobo. 
Many installs tents where they can stay the whole day, eating, drinking, having fun with friends, and many are making barbecues. There are stalls where you can buy Philippine products from handicrafts to balikbayan boxes, from foods to beverages.
my husband and son at the handicraft stall
There are tents of agents for condominium units in The Philippines, and also the tent of the Philippine Embassy in The Netherlands. Since I arrived and live in The Netherlands, I have been at the Philippine Independence Day Picnic three times together with my husband.
with my family
Last year and this year, our almost three year old son is also with us. Spaarnwoude is an hour trip from our home by car. The entrance fee is 6 euro each and the parking fee is also 6 euro. Almost every year there is a Filipino celebrity guest. From what I have seen today, there were more people and stalls today than last year.
On stage with Gino Padilla
And I can say, a lot of preparations done this year. This year, the celebrity guests are Gino Padilla and Isabel Granada. Isabel Granada is my contemporary. I remember her as a sweet face with long eyelashes at the afternoon television show That's Entertainment, while Gino Padilla is really a big hit with his classic songs such as Closer You And I, Gusto Kita, and Why Can't It Be. I really enjoyed today with my family. I am now happy  here in The Netherlands but there are also some things back home that I miss occasionally like native foods and Filipino songs. I have never been to a concert in the Philippines, so it was a real treat for me to hear Gino Padilla live for 6 euro.
my son
I left my husband and my son for a while to have a clear view of Gino Padilla. It is like I was star-struck. I am thankful to security personnel for allowing me to get on stage to Gino Padilla. Only those who had Gino Padilla CD and those who will buy his CD are allowed to come near to him. I told them I had no CD and I will not buy, I just like to come to Gino Padilla! And they let me come inside to the stage. I am also thankful to my friend Arlene for making a short video of me with Gino Padilla while on stage. I returned to my husband like a carefree child showing all my photos and the video with Gino Padilla. I told my husband that if I am in the Philippines I will not do that. Because I am in the Netherlands, I did that. It is really different when you are very far from your mother land.
With my friend, Arlene and her son.
It was a very fun filled day. The weather also cooperates because when we travel back home the temperature reached to 28 degrees. At home while I am cooking spaghetti for our dinner, I am smiling while singing this: kahit sabihin na mali ako, alipin mo o bihag mo, ako'y iyong iyo. Yes, I am almost a Dutch now that my Naturalization has done, but my heart remains the same, a Filipina by heart and blood, and it is always a happiness to talk or sing using my native tongue.  I just feel I am truly blessed because I belong to a loving Dutch family here in The Netherlands that loves me and all my Filipino ways.

Comments

Popular Posts