Four Places, Few Reasons Why I Always Love Manila

Jose Rizal Monument, Luneta 
Our next holiday in the Philippines is now set and well-planned. I am excited to see my country again, especially my family. I was born in Quezon City, the former capital of the Philippines, but as a whole, by heart, I am a proud Manila girl. Wherever life could take me, I always love the sight, the life and the smell of this notorious city.

Manila is the capital of the Philippines and founded by Spanish conquistador, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi on June 24, 1571. The Spanish rule of Manila and the entire archipelago lasted for over three hundred years. The Spaniards left a strong influence in the Philippines. Foods, traditions, and religion. My maiden surname is San Jose, a real Spanish root.

dining at Gumbos, Manila.
Since the time that I moved in the Netherlands because I got married to a Dutchman, every year, we have a holiday in the Philippines. We usually stay in Manila for a few days upon arrival and before flying back to the Netherlands.
In this blog, are four of my favorite places and reasons why I always love Manila. I will share with you four of the places in Manila that you might wish to visit one day, for fun and to experience.
me and my husband at Luneta
Rizal Park or Luneta. Luneta is one of the urban largest parks in Asia. It was built to commemorate the executed Filipino nationalist, Jose Rizal who is also the national hero of our country. It is a very big park with flower gardens and giant fountain. During Christman season, this park is very crowded and the giant fountain is a sight to behold because of its colorful dancing lights at night. For fun, they say that Luneta is also "a meeting place for Inday" and her boyfriend on her day off. Inday refer for Pinays who work as a household helper for a rich family in the Philippines.

riding in kalesa to Intramuros, with our friend from Alaska
Intramuros. Intramuros is a Spanish old town at the heart of Manila. Because of hundred years Spanish colonies in the Philippines, you will still see in Intramuros schools and churches built and designed with solid Spanish influence. When you are in Intramuros, it seems hard to believe that you are in an Asian land.
when in Manila, jeepney ride is a must

Manila Chinatown
                                     
dry fish vendor (I love dry fish)
                                   

picture, picture! They are strangers that befriended us in Chinatown

vegetable vendors

a familiar place. I remember my happy Citibank days, Binondo
Chinatown. From the hotel where we are staying, me and my husband took a jeepney going to Chinatown. Tourists call it Chinatown, for me this place is Binondo. In very narrow cluttered streets, people are going and doing business. I see some people napping, eating, and even taking a bath. I have heard that in Chinatown there are many pickpockets, but I know there are also many pickpockets in Paris. For Filipinos, Chinatown is one of the center of cheap merchandise.
fishing at Baywalk

dinner in Manila

my parents and my Dutch family, Manila

my Dutch family, refueling :)
Manila Bay or Baywalk. Manila Bay is on Roxas Boulevard. This place is only a walking distance from Lotus Garden Hotel where we always stay. Manila Bay is for me a romantic place. I have fond memories here with my husband, walking holding hands, smiling and greeting to some strangers, a decent place to see a very beautiful sunset. There are ice cream carts with tunes, sometimes "kalembang", the sound is so unique and special to my ears, it brings a lot of happy childhood memories.
back in Manila, now as a family

overlooking, Roxas Boulevard

the very beautiful sunset in Manila Bay
One woman posted on the Internet about Manila and I want to quote it: "Manila is not a world class city, but what makes Manila bearable is the people." It is heartwarming to read and to hear such nice comment about my place of origin. Manila is now one of the most densely populated city in the world. Yes, for many people, Manila is dirty, smelly, crowded, populated. Only my heart tells: I keep coming back to you, Manila. I hope my photos will tell you why I always love Manila.

Comments

  1. I was able to spend several days in Manila and enjoyed it very much. I toured Intramuros, and walk in Rizal Park. and of course drove by Manila Bay. Did you ever go to Corregidor? I really enjoyed my trip to the island in the bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, kuya Russell. Thank you so much for reading again and for taking time to comment. I am glad you enjoyed in Manila. I haven't visited yet the Corrigedor. I also know that it is a beautiful and historical place. Maybe one day when Burt a bit grown up already we will go there. We reached only Subic. Have a nice Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Delinda Wills ThomasJuly 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM

    Awesome I enjoyed all of the posts and could see Almighty God's handiworks,..Thanks for sharing Maggy !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, auntie Delinda :) Uh I am so happy to see you visiting me on my blog home. I am enjoying so much being here! I hope to see you more often! Hahaha! Goodnight and hugs!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts