Greece Vacation 2018: Potami River





On the afternoon that we arrived in Kovus, my husband started to survey the town. When I woke up from my afternoon nap, we drive going up to the mountain and I admire the olive green scenery. On the way, we stop at the cemetery and I made few photos both of the grave and the century old olive trees. Going down, we went ahead more and we stopped at Potami River.




Potami River is the largest in Corfu. From what I read, it springs from the mountains of the village Pekkas and flows into the Saltmarshes, crossing Corfu widthwise, something that I want to find out next time. 3.5 kilometers of total length, navigable at 2.5 towards the banks, and is safe for swimming. Fishing boats are also a common sight. Potami River is mentioned in the Venetian Maps of Corfu, that shows it has an old history.






It was so quiet there. Only few visitors with their car. Two men parked their car at the bridge with its tail light blinking, they sat in the restaurant fronting the river, smoke their cigars and  eat their meal nonchalant. On the river bank, there are restaurants, bars, and cafes. Offering real Greek foods, fresh fish on your plate, and an ice cream saloon on summer days until the summer bids goodbye for a while.




The cobble stoned narrow street is separated the restaurants, cafes, and gift shops from old homes, and those abandoned places. Rivers are beautiful subjects in photography, but ruins and old homes were surprisingly a photographers delight that I have just found out!







From Potami River, we drive a bit more and we ended on a beach. A beach that lonesome, the shower area is just a replica of the most recent joyful summer. As I recall the sight, and the smell of Potami River, I am yearning to go back there when the sun is up, scorching, and the smile and laugher of the holiday people abound.


Comments

Popular Posts