Visiting The Anne Frank House

I know about Anne Frank since I was a third grader  


 Born on June 12, 1929, Anne Frank was a German-Jewish teenager who was forced to go into hiding during the Holocaust. She and her family, along with four others, spent over two years during World War II hiding in an annex of rooms above her father’s office in Amsterdam.Since it was first published in 1947, Anne Frank’s diary has become one of the most powerful memoirs of the Holocaust. Its message of courage and hope in the face of adversity has reached millions. The diary has been translated into 67 languages with over 30 million copies sold. Anne Frank’s story is especially meaningful to young people today. For many she is their first, if not their only exposure to the history of the Holocaust. After being betrayed to the Nazis, Anne, her family, and the others living with them were arrested and deported to Nazi concentration camps. In March of 1945, seven months after she was arrested, Anne Frank died of typhus at Bergen-Belsen. She was fifteen years old. -The Anne Frank House USA

Anne Frank book from my husband
I was a third grader when I read in our school journal the story of Anne Frank. At that early age, the story remains in my mind. That time, I am a Lea Salonga fan. When I read about Anne Frank, I became a fan of Lea and also of Anne.
I think why I like Anne Frank is because, like her, I likewise love to write. One of Anne Frank's quote says: "When I write I can shake off all my cares." Me too. I write from the heart, I love to express what is building in my head. One of the most important advice that I acquired from my Journalism class is: write to express not to impress. The reading audience feels it when
your writing is with sincerity.


Another thing is that I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. During the Nazi Regime, thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses were also persecuted, many died in the concentration camps and extermination camps. You can search and read Jehovah's Witnesses' Untold Story of Resistance to Nazis by Joel P. Engardio. Like Anne Frank they experienced fiery persecution.

When I found out that the Anne Frank House is in Amsterdam, I asked my husband to take me there. I want to see that place that I have read when I was just a little girl.  The Anne Frank House is one of the main attractions in Amsterdam. Every day many visitors fall in line to buy tickets and have toured inside the house. My husband bought our tickets online. That time they have special entrance for those who purchased their tickets online.
No cameras allowed inside
The tour took  us almost two hours. Cameras are not allowed. Every corner of the house is the living memories of the Frank household. I imagined where Anne sits and writes in her diary or where she long for the war to end. There were moments that I feel I am catching my breath, there were moments that I want to shed a tear, the experience is so moving. My heart aches for Anne. I feel her being carefree and also her agony. 
This part in the book made me really crying



Before we left, I signed in the guestbook. I cannot now remember the exact words what I wrote there, but it is something about my longing for a world that is free of hatred. Then we went to their book and souvenir shop. My husband bought a book for me. When we are already outside, we sit for a while. My husband later told his family that I got a bit emotional. We took a few photos beside the statue of Anne Frank. After visiting the Anne Frank House, we have lunch at the very old Pancake Bakery. It is just a few walks from the Anne Frank House.
Time out at the old Pancake Bakery

 When we got home in the afternoon, I began to read my Anne Frank book. I finished reading it that night. I was crying when I was reading it. The story is sad, poignant, painful, heartbreaking.  I love history. I like to visit historical places, to know historical people. The Holocaust claimed millions of innocent people. The world needs more peace loving people. I am glad I have the hope of the Bible that war will end, when people will beat their swords into plowshares, and all people and races will dwell in peace.

Comments

Popular Posts