Giethoorn: The Place Where Streets Are Made Of Water



Giethoorn. The village where streets are made of water
I first saw this place at Country Living Magazine. I asked my husband if we can go here for a day trip just to see the place and I want to make photos. He said it is not a good idea to go for one day only. So he planned not for a day trip but for a week holiday.
Our cabin in Vakantiepark Giethoorn

a remote house

a typical sight in Giethoorn
The place that I am talking about is Giethoorn. They called it "the Venice of the North" because life here is composed of water, canals, bridges, and boats.

Giethoorn is a village in the Dutch province of Overijssel, municipality of Steenwijkerlan. From our home to Giethoorn is a two hour trip by car. The Country Living Magazine, describes this place magical. When I see Giethoorn, I was truly fascinated. Enchanting, calm, and remote.

Road sign

waterworld

We stay in Giethhoorn Vakantiepark. The cabins are uniform and in a neat formation with an electrical boat for each cabin. As what the Internet says, Giethoorn is a village where the streets are made of water. The place is very solemn and quiet. The only creations that making noise are ducks and birds and waves.
me and my son at the tourist area

boats for hire
Giethoorn is popular because of its thatched roof farmhomes surrounded with water that make Giethoorn like a place in a children's story book. There are organized boat trips for the tourist and there are also electric boats that seat two to five persons. There are also footpaths beside the canal for walking and bicycle. I never expected to see a lot of tourists in Giethoorn. There are many Chinese and it is noteworthy to see many very young Chinese tourists.

my Dutch family

capturing a great moment in my solitude

Smits Pavilion
We spent our one week in Giethoorn boating, feeding ducks that flocked to our cabin every morning or anytime of the day. Every morning, we go to the supermarket riding in the boat. I spent much of my time making photos or to just sit in solitude and digest the nature's beauty that engulfed me.

Walking around Giethoorn on different time of the day, I see beautiful things in the early mornings that I cannot see in the late afternoon. And there are also beautiful things that I see only during twilight and I will not come to notice in the morning or at noon.

eat with me :)

I am an off limit
the captain of my heart.



On our last night, we have dinner at Smits Pavilion. I think it is the biggest and the most famous restaurant in Giethoorn not only for its foods but also for its location. A restaurant that's surrounded by water.
We are back home now and I am recalling fond memories in Giethoorn. I remember a young Chinese couple whom I offered to make them a good photo using their camera. They are very happy for that, they said, it's a lot better than their selfie.

yours truly

morning tea time

one of my best (I think)

my enjoying son
I made so many beautiful photos. Giethoorn is one of a great destinations for photography and for holidays. The photos I made in Giethoorn are sometimes for fun, another time is solemn, but most of the time is heavenly. I hope you enjoy the photos I have selected to share on this blog and will also dream to visit one day, the place where the streets are made of water. Giethoorn.

Comments

  1. Beautiful). Wish it were the same in Kaliningad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello there! My apology for my late reply. I just saw your comment just now. Your photos are great too. I think you also have many beautiful places there to enjoy :) Good evening.

      Delete
  2. A very beautiful place, everything is so sweet and cute like in a fairy tale. :D

    https://femeieastazi.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts