Champorado: A Chocolatey Pinoy Breakfast

my all-time favorite
It is a lazy morning for me today. My husband is still in Poland and will be back home tomorrow. I am still in bed when my Whatsup rings, my husband is awake already and greeting me good morning. He is having breakfast, I told him that our son is still in his room sleeping. We bid goodbye, I tucked warm myself in bed. It is 8 o o'clock when my son went to me in our bed. He is up and about. I get up, we went to the living room. So, my day starts. The first thing is to make a breakfast.

Western people eat bread for breakfast, and also for lunch. In The Philippines, we eat rice, even for breakfast. Pandesal or champorado are also a common Filipino breakfast. Pandesal is good with a cup of coffee, champorado is good with dried fish especially during wet season.

Today, I cooked champorado for me and for my son's breakfast. I am glad that my son loves both, Dutch and Filipino cooking. The first time that I eat champorado here in Holland is the ready champorado mix in the box. Sad to say, it was not good that I just throw it in the garbage. I bought that ready to cook champorado at the Filipino Store in Rotterdam.

Until one Filipina here in Holland told me that I can cook my own champorado. At first, I was not familiar of the things and places here in our city. I am almost four years now in the Netherlands and the learning and discovering new things continue. I know now where to buy malagkit (sticky rice) and the cacao powder, the basic ingredients for champorado.

There are Filipinos living abroad for good or to work who are reading my blog. I want to share my champorado with all of you.
sitcky rice and cocoa powder.

condensed milk

What you need:
1/2 cup malagkit (sticky rice)
500 ml water
2 tbs cacao powder (dissolved in the water)
condensed milk

How to cook: 
Put in the pot the sticky rice together and the 500 ml water. Cover and let it boil. Once boiling, add the cocoa powder, adjust the heat of the stove to medium heat and mix occasionally. You can add the condensed milk while cooking the champorado or when it is done as a sweetener. Serve hot.
for me and for my son :)


In the Philippines, there  are food stalls that sell champorado every morning. They use sugar as a sweetener. The milk they put is the evaporated milk. Sometimes, it does not taste good, sometimes tasteless. Champorado was a part of my growing up years. It feels really good that I can still have the Filipino champorado here in my Dutch household and my son loves it! Now, I am ready to face again the day! 

Comments

Popular Posts