Something To Look Forward To On Friday


my plate every Friday 

 The weekend starts on Friday afternoon, it ends on Sunday afternoon. In the Netherlands, the weekend is something to look forward to. Be it with family, friends, time alone, or time to remember and to worship our Grand Creator. In most Dutch homes, weekend means being lazy, cozy. In our home, weekend means laid back, fast food on Friday night, game time, tv time. Have you ever heard the word frikandel? Uh! This is something that we look forward to on Friday! Our family is not much a consumer of fast foods. Not on Friday! Frikandel is one of the most likeable fast food among Dutch. It is a kind of sausage, my husband makes it more delicious by garnishing it with a mix of fresh shredded onions with catsup and mayonnaise, in short, the famous "frikandel special."


frikandel and fried shrimp

sla (fresh salad) the sla mixer is a gift from my dear friend

this makes "frikandel special"

cassava kropek

TGIF!


I have never seen frikandel in the Philippines, it’s the Purefoods tender juicy hotdog that both young and adult love there. Sometimes, I also buy them in the Filipino store in Rotterdam. We match frikandel with French fries, sometimes with chicken nuggets, my husband also includes our recent discovery, the cassava kropek! Real fast! Fast food! I cannot eat them without anything green, so I always prepare a fresh salad, I don't want to loss the word “healthy food”. For Nederlanders, fresh salad is sla. 

Any fresh leaves, usually it is rucola, with sliced tomatoes, cucumber, white cheese or feta is my version of sla. After the meal, my husband has cola, I drained them with oat milk. As I am writing this, I am thinking to search the origin of frikandel. The foods we eat are for me a rich blessings from God. There is always a good story behind every food we eat, as well as the rich culture that made that food known. How about you? What food made your country famous?

Comments

Popular Posts