More Than A Cymbal The Sincere Hospitality In Savarin Hotel

Many of the most beautiful stories in the history were told with heart and emotion. Stories of goodness, kindness, mercy towards humanity. I want to write today a heartwarming story, happened to my family, how it continues to linger despite it happened almost a month ago. 


Savarin Hotel in The Hague

cold outside, heartwarming inside

From Louman Museum, on a cold afternoon, we traveled back home. As my husband drives and exit the busy historic streets in The Hague, our car started to wiggle. There is something wrong, my husband exits again the three of four lane expressway, we entered Rijswijk. You cannot park your car just anywhere in Netherlands. The penalty is too high. There are numbers for any emergency, and since we need to troubleshoot the car, my husband made some phone calls.


The ANWB will come to fix our car, we are hoping that it will not take much time. I'm quiet, starting to feel panic when my husband said that ANWB coming in an hour. My husband sensed it, he, we, do not like to sit in the car for an hour, watching the passers-by and speeding cars. “Let’s go, have a walk, and have coffee”, told my husband. Just a few steps, we entered the Savarin Hotel. The New Year celebration of the world is only a few days away, it’s expected that hotels are full and busy.


We sit in the small, almost cramped reception. My husband went to the reception desk to let them know our purpose. I took the cozy corner, by the window, overlooking the parking area, and a so petit bookshelf with travel and lifestyle magazines, good to kill time. My son nagging, “how long it takes, mama?”


Guest coming in, coming out. Even it’s warm inside, I still feel the very cold dry wind outside. One of the hotel staff brought a cup of coffee to my husband, black to please his delight, while my son has his cold creamed chocolate milk, mine is warm without “slagrom”. Warm drink and reading, one of the most relaxing combination. 


Coming of guests is non-stop. One of the reception staff, cheerful, welcoming the guests with free glass of champagne. The scene is like holiday people in the Swiss mountains, checking in and ready to ski.


One couple went up in the lift, with a merry face, it was like in a blink, they came down with a face merrier. 

It was then that one of the staff, set a tray on a round table before us, and called my son on the other side of the reception area, watching the car race on the big tv. “Did my husband asked for another drink?”, I asked. “No, no”! The staff said, “it’s for your son.”


She lay down on the round table the tray with a glass of hot milk with three small plates, our son can choose from the three: white chocolate, brown chocolate, or pure chocolate for his warm chocolate drink. 

My husband left us to meet the troubleshooter who was already in our car. While I was still mixing  my son’s drink, my husband hurriedly back and said we can go home now! 


I pick up my bag, wear my jacket, and grabbed my son who still engrossed watching the car race. I went to the reception, asking them if I need to pay the drink, looks so special to be taken for granted. They all smiling and said, “no”! I thank them for their warm hospitality even we’re not a check in guests. I was not able to document the kindness through photos because they also let me charged my phone on their desk with their charger while we’re waiting. 


As we walked back to the car, I am glad I took a snap shot of just anything in front of the hotel, for me to keep, to remind me that once, this five star hotel gave us a very warm reception, that sincerity is like a cymbal to make them deserving of the said title. The memory remains poignant to me.

Comments

Popular Posts